When I fly home, I always get a call from my mom right before my flight takes off, “will you be wanting animal flesh for dinner.” She’s not kidding…haha. My mom has been vegan for a long time now and while I can’t imagine being vegan, her body has never felt better. I remember, as a kid, she’d always get stomach aches and feel sick after she ate meat and dairy. It really does prove that everyone’s body is different and what works for one person, won’t always work for another.
Luckily these vegan pancakes don’t taste vegan. They’re fluffy, tender, soft and are pleasantly sweet. If you’re vegan, you’ll be delighted that they’re dairy and egg-less; if you’re not vegan, you won’t be able to taste a difference, I promise.
I’m not gonna be home with my mama this Mother’s Day (I mailed off this box a few days ago!), but if I was, I’d make her a stack of these pancakes. She has a recipe similar to this, that I created for her so she can get her pancake-making on.
This stack is a bit fluffier (I played with the leavenings a bit more), a bit sweeter than my typical pancakes (I think it pairs well with the tart blueberries) and there’s a hint of almond flavor thanks to the almond milk.
First, there’s a recipe I’m gonna make (loosely) based off the book from our Book Club (have you started reading?! have you finished?!?). Get to it!
And then, there is Game Day. I wasn’t thinking I was really going to make anything for The Game…because, well, I don’t even watch football but then I realized a lot of us don’t but we still eat snacks. So, I’m warming up to the idea and am gonna make a few things this Friday to make sure we’re prepared.
Oh and then Valentine’s Day. For a long time, my eyes rolled very hard at V-Day but man, V-Day content is so fun to make. Everything is kinda cheesy and pink and heart-shaped. It’s grown on me big time.
A few weeks ago, Josh made this vegan lasagna and naturally I was very skeptical about it…mainly because vegan cheese is suss. But when it was all said and done and it was dinner time, I took a bite and was like OH OKKKKK.
1. I’m officially addicted to Pinterest. I feel like I’ve said this before, but then I forget about it and blah blah. But this week I reorganized my pins, started following more people, etc. I’m into it!
2. Do you ever love a song so much that you google the lyrics so you can sing along? I can’t be the only person that does this. A lil’ embarrassing, but how else are you supposed to memorize the CORRECT lyrics?
3. I sometimes think I was put on this earth to convince skeptical people to watch and love Friday Night Lights. I feel like it’s my duty. WATCH IT!
4. Spotify. Are you on it? I like it. I can listen to all sorts of music whenever I want, though, I hate its sharing aspect. I don’t want people to see what ridiculousness I’m listening to. I don’t ALWAYS listen to cool-people music. And sometimes I wanna listen to the same song over and over and I don’t want to be judged, okay?! If you, too, feel this way, “private profile” is the way to go.
5. Trying is very important. I try hard at all sorts of things. Another thing that’s important: knowing when to quit. I quit something this week, I think, and it feels sad, but relieving all at the same time.
6. When you quit something, you might have the urge to eat your feelings. That’s cool, but also try drinking them. That’s fun too!
7. In other news, I’m eating more vegan food. Because I like to feel healthy every now and then. And I’m in love with this bathing suit. This pasta could be considered “bathing suit pasta.” It’s totally a thing.